The Belfast City Mission commenced work in the Sandy Row area in 1829. Then the district was called the Old Malone Road, there was neither a school nor a place of worship. The first recorded agent as they were called at that time was in 1865 Mr H Woods, followed by Mr William Johnston 1893. In 1923 the Mission purchased a large hall in Clementine Street with Mr Albert Duff as Missionary. Mr Herbert McCombe followed Mr. Duff in 1941. In 1947 Mr McCombe left to take up duties with the Canadian Home Mission and Mr William Kelly was appointed to Clementine Street. He was succeeded by Mr Samuel Haslett in 1952 who was transferred to Clementine Street from Bellevue Street. Mr Haslett retired from the Mission in 1968 having given 42 years of faithful service, 16 years were spent in the Sandy Row district. Mr Willard Kelly continued the work in the Clementine Street district on a temporary capacity while awaiting the opportunity to return to mission work in Nigeria with the then Qua Iboe Mission. In 1969 Mr Kazimierz Rudewicz was appointed to the role for 2 years before resigning. During the next few years the Clementine Street hall had no Missionary in charge. 1977 saw a redevelopment of the area, this meant the closure of the Clementine Street hall, however, a new site was found and a new building was erected in 1981 with compensation from the old building. The new hall was opened on Saturday 18th September, by Mr R W Jess, Financial Secretary, Presbyterian Church, which made a generous grant towards the cost of the building through the Getty Trust. The hall became known as the Sandy Row hall. Mr Samuel Morrow who joined the Mission staff on 1st September 1982 was given charge of the new work. Mr Morrow transferred to Island Street hall in 1987 and was succeeded by Mr Geoffrey Jones. Mr Jones resigned from the work to take up studies at the university of Ulster with a view to entering Ministry of the Presbyterian Church. Mr Gordon McCracken rejoined the Mission in 1991 after spending a year with New Mossley Presbyterian Church and he took up the duties in Sandy Row. Mr McCracken resigned on 30th June 1995 to take up a role with Evangelical Ministries. He was replaced by Mr Billy Hamilton who joined the Mission Staff on 8th September 1995. In 2000 Mr Hamilton resigned as Missionary in Sandy Row to take up studies for the Presbyterian Church in Ireland. After spending periods of service in Rathcoole, Bellevue Street and Mayo Street respectively Mr Tom Gamble then transferred to the work in Sandy Row. Mr Gamble was subsequently transferred to Jersey Street at the beginning of 2010 and was replaced by the present Missionary Mr William Logan who commenced service in February 2010.
The Sandy Row district has experienced many changes throughout the years and has come through many testing times especially through the worst of “the troubles”. However, the Belfast City Mission in this district remains as a presence of hope for people in the Lord. This is carried forward in both practical and spiritual ways.
Contact Mobile : 07922871064
Evening Service @ 7.00pm
1st Sunday in the month @ 2.00pm (Carrs Court)
Mens Breakfast @ 9.30am (Friendship House)
Prayer Meeting @ 1.00pm
Foodbank open @ 2.00pm – 4.00pm
Fellowship Meeting @ 7.30pm
Belfast City Mission is an Urban Evangelistic Mission. We are among one of the oldest Urban Missions still in existence. Our work is carried out in the inner City districts alongside a number of areas in greater Belfast.
We need your continued support to bring the message of Jesus and His salvation to the streets and communities where we work.
Belfast City Mission, 5th Floor, Glengall Exchange, 3 Glengall Street, Belfast BT12 5AB
T. 028 9032 0557
F. 028 9031 1793