The Belfast City Mission began its work in the Shore Road District on 1st November 1952. The first Mission Hall was built among the then fabricated bungalows on the Shore Road and became known as the “wee green hut”. The first Missionary to work in the district was Mr John Lee. After 10 years of service in the Shore Road district Mr Lee resigned from the Mission to study for ministry in the Presbyterian Church in Ireland. Mr Ernest Tuff was appointed to the work in Shore Road after a spell with the Irish Mission as a colporteur (distributor of Christian literature). In 1968 Mr Tuff left the Mission after a sense of call to serve in overseas Mission. Mr Robert Graham joined the Mission and took up his duties in the Shore Road on 1st September 1968. During this period the character of the area was changing with the removal of the temporary prefabricated bungalows. They were going to be replaced by new housing. The hope of the Mission was to establish a new Mission hall there as the work was growing steadily. Mr Graham moved from the Shore Road in 1970 to take up duties in the newly erected hall in the Rathcoole Estate. He was replaced by Mr James Davidson who had served previously for 18 years in the Earl Street district. Twenty years of work in the Shore Road had been carried out in the temporary hall and it was the vision to erect a new hall. This was realised on the 29th January 1972 with the opening of a new hall at Shore Crescent. Mr Davidson was transferred to fill a vacancy in the Canton Street hall in 1979 and was replaced by Mr Johnston Lambe who was introduced to the Mission in 1978 and had spent a short time assisting with the work in Rathcoole. Mr Lambe was appointed Assistant to the Secretary in August 1984 thus leaving a vacancy which was subsequently filled by Mr James Clarke. Mr Clarke was transferred to the work in Lord Street district in October 1991 and was replaced by Mr Arthur McClelland in January 1992 after having spent an initial period of service assisting in Rathcoole and 8 years of service in the Ballysillan hall. Arthur was no stranger to the area having been brought up in the district. Arthur was to serve the district faithfully for 25 years until his retirement in July 2017. The present Missionary Mr Gary Bingham was then appointed to carry on the work having spent time serving in Rathcoole and Glencairn respectively.
Almost 66 years have passed since the work began in the Shore Road district. During these many years there have been many changes and also the “troubles” as they are known were experienced. However, the work of the Belfast City Mission Shore Road continued to see growth and blessing throughout. The primary aim remains to reach the community with the Good News of the Gospel and to see many coming to faith in Christ.
Contact Mobile : 07849837633
Sunday School @ 3.00pm ( 4 Years + )
Prayer Time @ 6.30pm
Gospel Service @ 7.00pm
Womens Fellowship @ 2.30pm (1st and 3rd Monday each month)
Junior Christian Endeavour @ 7.00pm
Prayer Meeting @ 7.45pm
Friendship Club @ 10.30am
Youth Club & Good News Club @ 5.00pm – 7.00pm
Boys Brigade @ 6.15pm ( Anchor Boys )
Friendship Meeting @ 8.00pm
Belfast City Mission is an Urban Evangelistic Mission. We are among one of the oldest Urban Missions still in existence. Our work is carried out in the inner City districts alongside a number of areas in greater Belfast.
We need your continued support to bring the message of Jesus and His salvation to the streets and communities where we work.
Belfast City Mission, 5th Floor, Glengall Exchange, 3 Glengall Street, Belfast BT12 5AB
T. 028 9032 0557
F. 028 9031 1793