In 1928 Belfast was facing terrible hardship and poverty due to world events such as the Wall Street Market crash which heralded a world-wide recession and depression, this was to last for a decade. Amidst such a background the Belfast City Mission took the bold step to erect a wooden structured Mission hall in Kilburn Street on the Donegall Road. The first Missionary was Mr James Cassidy who was to serve the Lord faithfully for 39 years. During these years Mr Cassidy was highly respected within the area and many Men, Women, Boys and Girls came to faith in Christ as a result of his ministry among them. Mr Cassidy retired from the Mission in 1966 and Mr William H Cooke took over the duties in Kilburn Street after spending 2 years in the Bellevue hall. Having been assistant to the Secretary for a few years and still working in Kilburn Street, Mr Cooke was released from his role as Missionary for Kilburn Street in 1977 to concentrate his work alongside the Secretary. Mr David Campbell who had been in Ballysillan hall since 1969 was appointed to the Kilburn Street hall. Mr Campbell received a call to serve the Pastorate of Rugby Avenue Congregational Church in 1979. He was succeeded by Mr Robin Fairbairn after a short period of vacancy in 1981. Mr Fairbairn had been appointed to the Mission in April 1980 and had assisted previously in the Great Northern Street hall. Mr Fairbairn was transferred to the Canton Street hall in 1985 and Mr Campbell McMaster took up the role of Missionary in Kilburn Street hall on the 14th November 1985. Mr McMaster served for 11 years before transferring to Derg Street in January 1996, Mr Errol McCrory who had been in the Mission since January 1972 then took up the work in Kilburn Street. Mr McCrory retired from the Mission at the end of October 2009 having given 37 years of service to the Mission, 13 of those years spent in Kilburn Street hall. He was succeeded by the present Missionary Mr Lloyd Watson in 2010 who had previously served for 25 years in Jersey Street hall.
It is hard to comprehend 90 years of work for the Lord has been carried out in the wooden structured of the Belfast City Mission Kilburn Street. Missionaries and people have come and gone, however, the work for the Lord is never changing as He is unchanging. Similar to other areas of the City Kilburn Street is a needy area with many social and moral problems existing. It is only the Lord has the answer to all of these matters. The Belfast City Mission Kilburn Street will remain that shining light for God in His blessed will.
Contact Mission Office (028) 9032 0557
Sunday School @ 3.00pm – 4.00pm ( September – May )
Gospel Service @ 7.00pm
Prayer Meeting @ 7.30pm
Ladies Meeting @ 3.00pm ( September – May )
Belfast City Mission is an Urban Evangelistic Mission. We are among one of the oldest Urban Missions still in existence. Our work is carried out in the inner City districts alongside a number of areas in greater Belfast.
We need your continued support to bring the message of Jesus and His salvation to the streets and communities where we work.
Belfast City Mission, 5th Floor, Glengall Exchange, 3 Glengall Street, Belfast BT12 5AB
T. 028 9032 0557
F. 028 9031 1793